River Advice for Boaters - Terms & Conditions and Privacy Notice
Terms and conditions
What we will do
We will try to send the River Advice for Boaters messages to you via the Flood Warning Service, but we can’t guarantee they will be sent or arrive, we will do what is reasonable.
The messages may be sent at any time of the day or night.
We do not
● accept responsibility if you fail to receive a message
● guarantee that our website or Floodline phone lines will be available
● accept responsibility for any loss, damage or costs incurred by you by issuing or failing to issue messages – except where the law says we must.
You are responsible for
● making sure that the contact details you give us are correct
● telling us about any changes
How we use your personal information
We are the Environment Agency and we manage the River Advice for Boaters messaging service. We are the data controller for this service. A data controller determines how and why personal data (personal information) is processed.
Our personal information charter ( explains your rights and how we deal with your personal information. You can access the charter using the link or go to gov.uk and search 'Environment Agency personal information charter'.
The personal data we need
The personal data we collect includes:
● Full name
● Full address
● Contact details including landline or mobile telephone number(s) and email address(es)
We are allowed to process your personal data because you consent to us doing so. You have the right to withdraw consent at any time. The lawful basis for processing your personal data is consent.
We need the information requested from you in order to register you to receive the RiverAdvice for Boaters messaging service. If you don’t provide all of this information, then we can’t register you.
What we do with your personal data
We use your personal data to:
● register you on the Flood Warning Service
● check and update your personal details on our vessel registration database
● share your information within the Environment Agency or with other organisations ifthe law says we must
● respond to freedom of information requests (if data protection law allows it)
We do not use your personal data to make an automated decision or for automated profiling.
We will not share or disclose your personal data to any party outside the EnvironmentAgency without your explicit consent unless we are lawfully able to do so.
How long we keep your personal data
We will keep your personal data for 3 years (following cancellation of your River Advice for Boaters messaging service registration) in line with our standard information retention policy.
Where your personal data is processed and stored
We store your personal data on our servers in the UK.
We will not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area.
Our Data Protection Officer (DPO) is responsible for independent advice and monitoring of the Environment Agency’s use of personal information.
If you have any concerns or queries about how we process personal data, or if you would like to make a complaint or request relating to data protection, please contact:
Data Protection team
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is the supervisory authority for data protection legislation. The ICO website has a full list of your rights under data protection legislation.
You can access this at the following link:
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO at any time. Should you wish to exercise that right, full details are available at:
This notice was last updated January 2019